the benefits of veg gardening
I have discovered the perfect hobby for me...growing my own vegetables! I have a small garden, only about 7x3m. It's not big enough to produce all the veggies for the very high demand in our household yet, but I absolutely love reaping the benefits. Keep reading to find out how your own veg garden can benefit you!
My latest harvest from my garden; onions, beets, carrots, and spinach.
1. Organic veggies: You control what goes into the soil, you know what pesticides you used. The internet is a great source of information, there are many websites that explain the successful use of organic and home made pesticides.
2. Satisfaction: It is just amazing to dig up, cook and eat something that you planted and watered and took care of yourself. It also impresses friends and family if you show off a basket full of veggies from your own garden!
3. Inspiration! Don't know what's for supper? Build a meal around whatever you can harvest from your garden.
4. Saves money: buying food can be quite expensive, especially if you buy organic. Growing your own can be cheap if you make your own compost for fertilizer, and save seeds for planting next season.
5. Can increase kids' veg intake: children love planting veg and seeing things grow and harvesting it themselves, eating it is so much more exciting if you know where it came from!
6. Excellent exercise: according to the CDC you can burn about 150 kcal in 30 min of gardening, especially of you do a lot digging!
7. Reduces stress: having your hands in the dirt can be very therapeutic, and plants have a calming effect on people.
I'm going to go plant some peas right now...!
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
I am a registered dietitian, and this is my blog.
Please don't see it as anything other than a blog; general information, snippets that I find interesting, and recipes that I enjoy. It is not meant to replace individual healthcare from myself or other healthcare professionals.